I got lucky when I decided to build a presentation on the 4 to 5 generations currently in the workplace. The topic was hot, the generations unique and Millennials (of course) were getting trashed.
Sure there were some reason for concern, but I would point out to hundreds of attendees they had it wrong. Gasp!
As a baby boomer I remember hearing from previous generations that MY generation wouldn’t amount to much. No work ethic, etc. Checking the scorecard I see that these predictions were incorrect. We’re so quick to criticize younger generations, but each one has done a great job at helping us move forward collectively. Millennials are doing the same!
- Do you use Facebook? The dude who started it is a Millennial! Okay, that was too easy. But, they are the most tech savvy. They’re eager to learn. This is good!
- They learn quickly. This is great. Their eagerness to grow is part of their culture. Plus, they are the #1 generation in the US AND the #1 generation in the workforce.
- They are far more diverse than previous generations. Plus, more come from single-parent homes, blended families, and families with same sex parents than ever before. This is a fact! And, Millennials are pro women. They work to live not live to work.
- NOT TRUE! Contrary to popular belief this generations does like to work, they simply approach it from a different angle. Many are dependable, innovative and open to trying creative ways of completing tasks. They are social, willing to be mentored and YES they want an opportunity for growth/advancement.
- Look ahead. Jerks come in all colors, shapes and sizes. So do managers! Thankfully, the same can be said of nice people! Already making a huge impact, todays Millennials are going to be running major companies in 5-10 years. How you treat those younger than you might have an impact on your paycheck. Treat people well because they remember! Treat people poorly and…..